Moving & Adding Sockets.


The bedroom had ONE SOCKET on the 'wrong' side of the room - so I went about learning how to safely move and add more sockets to the circuit. A Voltmeter is your friend here, and it is ALWAYS best to triple check you have isolated the correct circuit on the fusebox. So far I think I have only shocked myself twice.

So here is a bad picture of the socket on the right of the door, its open off the wall but you can see it.

Here is the 3-core cable I bought - about 50m on a reel. 
First I lifted the floorboard and removed the socket
 Drilled 16mm hole below the new socket placement

 Drilled through each joist
 Threaded the cable through.
 Added a new socket where needed and pulled the cable through with enough slack
 Voila - first new socket in. I have continued the circuit by having a cable come out from it towards the other end of the room where I want the other socket.
 Here is a picture under the floorboard where I fed the cable down
 Drilled a hole through to the right of where the cable fed down and added new socket - again with a cable entering and exiting the socket to continue the circuit.
 More holes drilled and more cable fed.
 Where I wanted a forth socket there is a Gas heater attached to the wall - and also I wasn't sure about adding another socket anyway, so instead I connected the cable to a (30a 4-way) junction box, so that I can easily add another socket at a later date if I want/need. Then I continued the circuit back down towards where the original first socket was.....
 .....Where I have now added another junction box which safely completes the bedroom circuit and brings it home to the fusebox down some cable originally going to the singular socket.
 Here they are plugged in and working with floorboards back in place.

 P.S. Every floorboard I have taken up so far in the house (quite a few..) I have removed the old nails and am replacing with screws so that they are accessible without wrenching up the floor and damaging the wood any further. I also had a sparky mate check my work for safety/insurance reasons. 





Comments

Popular Posts